Thursday, June 11, 2015

Pancake Challenge #1) (Almost) Paleo (Mostly) 2- Ingredient Banana Pancake....with a teaspoon of cognac

Truth be told, despite living in the European equivalent of 'land of pancakes', I’ve never really been a big fan of pancakes.  I mean yes, I did love occasionally to the pancake houses and having a proper pannekoeken layered with powdered sugar and syrup but I honestly never really liked the half-soggy texture or the rather bland flavour (without drowning it in syrup).

 But as you do when one starts dating a rather pancake-crazed Canadian, you learn to adjust to the rather pancake heavy lifestyle (but that doesn’t stop you from stopping the insane drowning of pancakes in maple syrup – seriously that has to stop).  So instead of that traditional style butter-heavy, flour-heavy pancake I didn’t like, I thought maybe I would prefer something lighter and healthier and made my first batch of 2-ingredient banana pancake. What I didn’t expect was exactly how much I would love the pancakes. They were so light and fluffy, and naturally flavoured that not only did I finish my share (which to be fair is usually 1/3 of his), I would often guiltily steal bites of Lee’s pancakes previously telling him off for gulping his food down.

Anyhow, after few variations of banana pancakes and coconut pancakes, I was sure I was actually a pancake fan – but one with a rather fussy/picky/specific preference.  That’s how the whole challenge began.  A global-scale pancake challenge to make each weekend (and even early weekdays), tweaking it to meet my specific taste-buds.

Personally I can’t wait to make blini with caviar but it is quite appropriate that we start the challenge with the one pancake that converted me to pancake-hood.

I’m not even sure where we’ve gotten the original 2-ingredient banana pancake from, but after trying it 2 days in a row (maybe even tomorrow – seriously I’m hooked), at least to me it is amaaaaazing. Plus it’s always convenient to cook as all you really need are eggs and banana (which I always keep frozen and thaws really easily) and pantry staples!

So I’m proud to present our....

(Almost) Paleo (mostly) 2-ingredient Banana Pancake


Makes 2 (or 3 if one of you is not a 6ft 5 Canadian who inhales pancakes) 

Ingredients: 

2- 3 medium bananas (mashed)
2 eggs

And Optional additions being:  

1 Tbsp Tapioca Flour (optional – I found it helps with keeping the pancake intact)
1 Tbsp Coconut Flakes  or 1 Tbsp Almond Meal/Flour (if the mixture is too thin – add more!)
1 Tsp Cinnamon or 1 Tbsp of Cocoa Powder and/or 1 Tsp of macca powder
1 Tsp of Pure Vanilla Extract
1/4 Tsp of Baking Powder

AND my favourite addition being 1 TBSP of COGNAC

When you have all of the above gathered – all you need to do is:
  1. Mash the bananas with a fork/masher in a bowl
  2. Break the eggs and whip for a minute or two with a fork/whisk
  3. Add in the rest of the ingredients and let it sit for a  minute or two (especially if you’ve added coconut flakes)
  4. Heat frying pan at low-medium and then pour 1 TBSP of either ghee/coconut oil / olive oil or any oil of your preference
  5. Take about 2 TBSP (I use a small ladle) pancake mix for about 3 min on each side (you’ll see when the pancake is set – as bubbles begin to form in the middle)
*Note: these flour-less banana pancakes are delicious but a bitch to flip. The smaller the better and if  you have time it’s a lot easier to cook it at low- heat so it doesn’t burn)

  1. Garnish the pancakes with MODERATE (stop – these should not be drowned) amounts of honey / maple syrup and to your preference chocolate sprinkles (I know they’re not paleo), coconut flakes, seeds (flax/chia/pumpkin etc.), nuts or really anything you want.

There it is, my favourite pancake in the world (so far), I’m pretty sure Lee will grow tired of them, but for now I’m perfectly happy eating these for breakfast every single day. Well until Sunday. Then we're indulging in Crêpes with Salted-Butter Caramel because its Sunday - then the tweaking begins once again :) 
  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment