Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Weekend Brunch at Herbivores

Herbivores
33 Tong Chong Street, Quarry Bay, Hong Kong



Rating: 7.5/10 
PriceAround 100-150 HKD for a late-Benedict lunch

There's bee a great deal of posts and hype about this new vegetarian restaurant in Soho these last few weeks! I can't remember there being such an interest (even if it is amongst the international community) in vegetarian dining or even healthy-dining in Hong Kong 3 years ago when I first came!
In fact I was rather depressed and horrified at the distinct lack of healthy options.. but now it seems to be a new one opening every month or so!

Anyhow, I've been eyeing this new restaurant for weeks, but not being wise enough to make reservations ahead of time.. It had always been full during the lunch hours.

My friend and I had planned to go to La Cantoche for lunch, but sadly it was closed for lunch that day... :(
So, we quickly walked our way back up to Central to find a rather empty Herbivores open for late-weekend brunch! 

After great effort to not go for another Benedict, we both chose Grilled Halloumi Toast with Eggs!
I had not thought I would ever get Halloumi cheese in Hong Kong!
The portions were small-ish (not a big hearty brunch)
but the grilled cheese and the scrambled eggs were cooked brilliantly with just the right amount of seasoning for a healthy light brunch :)


Despite it being 'fresh' and 'light' it did leave me a little hungry, and plus brunches are nothing if not for their lovely and guilty indulgences...
   I had thought the dessert would be some sort of muesli or yogurt.... but instead it was a delectable tin full of slightly frozen chocolate mouse.
I usually don't like the texture of chocolate mouse, but because it was slightly frozen it was as if it was an wonderfully soft choclate-y and delightfully velvet-y chocolate ice-cream..

Both of us loved the brunch and especially the dessert... I mean who can say no to chocolate? 
Feeling slightly guilty (as one should after a brunch)
we decided to walk to Barista Jam for a cup of coffee and a little eye-shopping to walk off the indulgence and return home for dinner.

:

No comments:

Post a Comment