Saturday, April 20, 2013

Hidden Coffee Gem: Cafe Golden

Cafe Golden

(Shek Kip Mei MTR)


Cafe Golden
Hidden and tucked away in Jockey Art Centre in  Shek Kip Mei, Cafe Golden is one of my favorite places in Hong Kong that I don't get to visit enough. Plus, every time I do visit, maybe due to its rather random location and modest and simple decor, the cafe was never packed full and always had an relaxed and tranquil atmosphere.

                                         
Although the location is rather strange, it's perfect if you need to get away from the city for a while without having to completely disappear into the wilderness. Plus, although you have to walk a little from Shek Kip Mei MTR, it's easy enough to find the place (walk STRAIGHT) and stay there undisturbed for a endless hours of caffeine rushes and re-rushes.

I've gone here couple of times, sometimes alone and sometimes with a friend but I think this is more of a place to go if you want to catch up properly on a lazy afternoon or read/work in solitude. Plus there's no wifi here, so that always leaves me no choice to be either social with my friend or focus on work completely.

Everytime I came here I ended up trying either the Latte, Piccolo Latte, Doppio Espresso Doppio or the Cappucino depending on my mood (and amount of sleep). They are all excellent coffee that I always have to spend such a long time assessing myself before ordering that I feel so silly and sorry for the waiters who patiently wait for me to make up my mind.


The Latte here is not as strong and intense as the ones in Barista Jam but they are much smoother and silkier. It's not that they lack flavor or taste but it's just a different experience all together, and I can't quite put my finger on which one I prefer more. 

 Espresso Doppio
I am actually not much of an espresso drinker. It's gone too quickly and usually I find the bitterness and the acidity too over-powering and long lasting. But this espresso was surprisingly smooth and silky lingering around my mouth for what seemed like hours... It was actually one of the first espresso I truly enjoyed and have been coming back for ever since!

Piccolo Latte
Gone So Quickly!! :(
 And then was my Piccolo Latte. 

 Piccolo Latte is a variation from Caffe Macchiato. Caffe Macchiato, literally meaning 'espresso stained/marked with milk'. Although traditionally it had been espresso with small amount of milk, the 'stain' came to indicate the foamed milk on top of the espresso. Piccolo Latte apparently deviated slightly from the 'staining with foam' instead increasing the ratio of foam to espresso to 1:1!  

It had always been a good trade-off between espresso (which is usually too strong for me) and a simple Latte! It is my mini-latte with a stronger velvety aroma and taste!
    
Blueberry Cheese Caake
Sometimes, I even indulge a little more on small treats such as this blueberry cheese cake pictured above. The portions are actually quite small, so it's a nice accompaniment to a strong cup of espresso or any other coffee. 


And sometimes... I even steal my fiend's cup of coffee because when is one cup simply enough for a lazy lethargic afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment